Monday, November 11, 2013

Fold-Forming Metal Foliage

Yesterday I had the opportunity to take a workshop at Riker Hill Art Park at my friend, Sue Sachs studio.  Back when I worked in corporate America, I took weekly lessons up there.  Once I left to become a full time bead maker, I lacked the regular cash flow to keep going (But I sure did reduce my stress level!).  Every so often, I like to take a full day workshop so that my skills don't get too rusty.  Yesterday's workshop was Leaves and Vines although I focused entirely on the leaf portion.
I started by folding some 22 gauge copper over itself and then pounding it flat with a mallet.
I kept the design simple since I haven't done any hand-sawing in awhile.
Once the piece was cut-out, I drilled a tiny hole in the top, did a bit of sanding and then annealed it.  Once annealed, I opened it up.
After I had three leaves ready, I dropped them all in the pickle.
After they were pickled and rinsed, I used the torch flame to heat patina each one.  The nice thing about this method is that if you don't like the results, you pickle the piece again and can start over.  Tonight I will apply a layer of renaissance wax to each leaf to help seal the patina.

The next time I'm up at the studio, I plan to cut out some more leaves and torch enamel each one.

Happy Beading!

Diana P.
Suburban Girl Studio LLC

6 comments :

  1. These are so cool! I'm going to learn fold forming this coming summer at Francesca's metal retreat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How neat! They are beautiful Diana. I'd love to play with this technique!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you had lots of fun. It's always cathartic to pound something and use fire.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Go Girl!!! Another reason to love you and your creativity!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another awesome post about your creative desires!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd love a go at forming metal, your results are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete

We would love to hear what you have to say, please leave a comment.